Nagios World Conference

Mike Guthrie mguthrie at nagios.com
Wed Oct 5 19:43:42 CEST 2011

Hi All,

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Hi all. I attended the Nagios World Conference North America last week
> and though I'd dish out some kudos where such are due, and also dense
> up the information to any newcomers that might get lucky when looking
> for solutions to any particular problems.
>
> Overall, the standard of the conference was very, very high. It was the
> first Nagios conference I've gone to where I learned something new. A
> rare occasion indeed, so many thanks to Ethan, Mary and Nagios Enterprises
> for arranging such a high-quality event. I won't mention their talks,
> since I don't want to inflate their egos too much, but check out the one
> on visualizations by Mike Guthrie. Pretty cool stuff :)

I agree, the conference was very cool.  I'm still decompressing from all
of the ideas that I got from other users.  Thanks for the shout out, I'm
flattered ; )

> Much of the focus was on scaling up Nagios. mod_gearman and livestatus
> seem to be the most known and used projects for achieving that goal.
> Reading status files is just too slow when viewing the UI, and a single
> server just doesn't scale to enough checks (yet). DNX also seemed very
> well investigated and used in some places, although a documentation
> mishap seems to have lead many potential users away from it. For those
> wondering, DNX can indeed distribute checks to workers based on host-
> groups, just as mod_gearman can. It's just not well documented.
> LivestatusSlave also got a lot of interest, although it didn't seem to
> be as well used as either of the other three.
> Kudos to Sven Nierlein (mod_gearman author/maintainer) Mathias Kettner
> (mk_livestatus author/maintainer) and Lars Michelsen (LivestatusSlave
> author). Your stuff is being used in production for positively *huge*
> installs, so well done guys :) I sure hope you go to the conference
> next year so you can talk about future development and gather even more
> interest for your projects.
>
> Merlin wasn't much discussed, although the DNX maintainers (and I)
> recommend it as the only sane way to get redundancy and automagic
> loadbalancing. Probably because of the misconception that you're
> required to run a separate UI and a fork of Nagios when using it. At
> least that's what my slightly hurt ego wants to believe ;)

I will admit my own ignorance in realizing what Merlin can do, along
with several other projects I learned about last week.  I think one of
the biggest things I took away from the conference is just the enormous
need to document and better publicize existing projects and also how to
implement some of the powerful set ups that many users have had to
figure out the hard way.  Nagios is incredibly flexible and there's so
much that can be done with it, after this week I'm realizing that the
existing documentation just scratches the surface of what can be done
with it.  If there's a need from the community, it's more documentation,
tutorials, and publicity.  There's a wealth of great projects and Nagios
tricks out there and I for one would love to see that users are getting
all of the information that they need for the environments that they run.

--

Mike Guthrie
Technical Team
Email:  mguthrie at nagios.com