Nagios - Check for Updates

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tue Oct 4 17:32:06 CEST 2011

On 02.10.2011 02:14, Jon Adcock wrote:
> This feature (check for updates) does not appear to be working for
> me.  When 3.3.1 came out, I waited for a week, and never saw the
> update available banner displayed on the Nagios main landing page
> (main.php).  I've been playing with the main.php page to get it to
> display the date/time of the last update check, and it returns blank
> (no value), so I'm assuming that too mean it's not actually checking.
>   I am currently running Nagios 3.3.1 on the Novell SLES v10 server
> (Nagios compiled from source).  Can anyone give me some
> troubleshooting steps to get me started?  For example, is there a way
> to enable logging of the check for updates feature, and is there a way
> to manually start the update check (the API, not the web page URL link)?

the core is scheduling call home events and saves the version
information and various other attributes in both status.dat and
retention.dat. the cgis (or the php part of it) parse that information
into a readable version onto the web.

http://nagios.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nagios/nagioscore/trunk/include/nagios.h?revision=1786&view=markup
line 129ff
http://nagios.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nagios/nagioscore/trunk/base/utils.c?revision=1797&view=markup
line 3724ff
http://nagios.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nagios/nagioscore/trunk/xdata/xsddefault.c?revision=1793&view=markup
405ff
http://nagios.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nagios/nagioscore/trunk/xdata/xrddefault.c?revision=1787&view=markup
317ff
http://nagios.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nagios/nagioscore/trunk/html/includes/utils.inc.php?revision=1242

so i would guess if you don't allow the nagios core to phone home, it
won't show an updated version. scheduling cycle is somewhere around 22
hours, changing is only possible if you recompile.

> /**/
> /*Florida's Capital County*/
> /*Jon Adcock*/
> Network Systems Administrator