New to Nagios - Why do i not recieve Service Alert notifications?

Nagios FTL nagios.ftl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:25:27 CET 2011

Good afternoon,

I am completely new to Nagios so please excuse me if this is a really silly
question:

I am currently testing before i start to add in real hosts.

I am testing notifications at the moment and i have created a file for
SWITCHES that i have put in a test switch that does not exist so always
will be down and should trigger notification.

I recieve Host Alert Emails in the output of

Subject: ** PROBLEM Host Alert: Test Switch is DOWN **

***** Nagios *****

 Notification Type: PROBLEM

 Info: CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (192.168.1.208)

Host: Test Switch

Address: 192.168.1.208

State: DOWN

Date/Time: Wed Nov 30 16:47:07 GMT 2011

 But i never recieve a Service Alert email.

I have tried disabling nofitications in the host template and only enabling
notifications in the service template but then i recieve nothing at all.

Here the whole of my switch.cfg that i am using for testing, Nagios likes
it and reports Down and Critical statuses on it so it works but just doesnt
send out service alert notifications.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/895609/Switch.cfg

 Could somebody help me as to why please?

 Thankyou very much