MSSQL CRITICAL - Error: Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed

Minh R. minh.ramsden at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 20:32:45 CET 2011

> Leif J. <nagios <at> ljnet.dk> writes:

>     On a brand new Windows 2008R2 and MSSQL 2008R2 I have installed
>     NSClient++ and put check_mssql_nt but when I try to connect to the
>     localhost I'm getting: MSSQL CRITICAL - Error: Provider cannot
>       be found. It may not be properly installed
>     What can it be ? I have looked several sites and have not yet
>     figured it out why.
>     /Leif

any issue.

I'm having the same issue. I have added the check_mssql_nt.exe file to the
\NSClient++\scripts\ folder, un-commented the NRPEListener.dll in the nsc.ini
file, allowed arguments under "COMMAND ARGUMENT PROCESSING" in the nsc.ini file,
and added the following line to the "[External Scripts]" section of my client
server's NSC.ini file:

check_mssql_connection=scripts\check_mssql_nt.exe /H:$ARG1$ /D:$ARG2$ /U:$ARG3$
/P:$ARG4$

Then I run the following command from the Nagios server as a test:

./check_nrpe -H sqlservername -c check_mssql_connection -a sqlservername
sqldatabasename username password

The error returned is:

MSSQL CRITICAL - Error: Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly
installed

Does anyone have any ideas?