Presumed service dependencies?

Mike Chesnut mikec at aggregateknowledge.com
Fri Nov 18 18:21:50 CET 2011

On 11/17/2011 01:00 AM, mail at catsnest.co.uk wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Mike Chesnut
> <mikec at aggregateknowledge.com <mailto:mikec at aggregateknowledge.com>> wrote:
>
>     Is there a way to tell Nagios that I want all services on a host to be
>     dependent on that host without having to write a separate
>     servicedependency for every single service?  I can't even conceive of a
>     situation where, when a host is down, I still want to get notified for
>     all of its services being down too.
>
>     Hopefully I'm just missing something simple...  Ideally I'd like to set
>     this globally, in fact.
>

> Unless i am missing something that is the default behaviour, or at least
> how it works for us =)

I think what happens is something like this:

1. Nagios polls the host, it's UP
2. Host goes down
3. Nagios polls the services, they're DOWN

I suppose the way to address this would be to set it to not alert until
the service has failed twice (and presume the host will be checked again
in between those two service checks).  Is that what most people do?  Or
is there a better way?

Thanks,
Mike