Monitoring a Microsoft SQL Server

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Thu Nov 17 20:59:30 CET 2011

Hi there --

I tried connecting to port 1433 of the SQL server, and the connection was
refused. It appears that efforts to connect via the default
port will not work in this case. I took the liberty of running the nestat -abn
command syntax on the console of the SQL server, and
searched for all references to the sqlservr.exe binary. The results are shown
below:

Active Connections

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP 0.0.0.0:58477 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP 0.0.0.0:62502 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP 0.0.0.0:65249 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP 127.0.0.1:58751 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP 127.0.0.1:62503 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP 127.0.0.1:63954 127.0.0.1:63955 ESTABLISHED

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP 192.168.40.114:62502 192.168.40.122:50342 ESTABLISHED

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP 192.168.40.114:62502 192.168.40.125:60257 ESTABLISHED

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP 192.168.125.1:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP [::]:58477 [::]:0 LISTENING

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP [::]:62502 [::]:0 LISTENING

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP [::]:65249 [::]:0 LISTENING

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP [::1]:58751 [::]:0 LISTENING

[sqlservr.exe]

TCP [::1]:62005 [::1]:62006 ESTABLISHED

[sqlservr.exe]

UDP 0.0.0.0:123 *:*

If the default port, 1433, is not reachable would one the above ports be the
alternate means of connecting to the server?