check_openmanage plugin: " Couldn't run command ..."

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Thu Nov 17 17:23:04 CET 2011

Corcoran Smith <Corcoran at flair4it.co.uk> writes:

> First message, so please excuse any failures in format, etc!
>
> Got two issues with two boxes (out of 160!) using check_openmanage:
>
> 1) Couldn't run command 'c:\pro... ' etc
> 2) U nrecognized character xA8: marked by <-- HERE after <-- HERE near column 1 at /loader/HASH(0xa7c42c)/UNIVERSAL.pm line 1.
>
> both are using the windows exe

Hi Corcoran,

I'll need more data to debug the first issue, e.g. the full error
message from the plugin. Unless they appear on the same server(?), in
which case issue 1 is probably caused by issue 2.

Regarding issue 2, I've seen this once before. A disk was so damaged
that OMSA failed while getting info from it, and gave an error message
like above: "unrecognized character...". This output is not something
that the plugin doesn't expect and couldn't possibly prepare for, so it
throws an error.

You need to identify the failed component, it probably needs to be
replaced. Try running 'omreport' commands to find it. Start with
'omreport storage pdisk controller=0'.

Regards,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo