How to limit the amout of SMS notifications?

Andrew Thompson andrew at fulgent.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 11:20:29 CET 2011

Hi all,

I have Nagios 3.3.1 setup on Ubuntu Desktop 11.04.

I monitor approx. 70 hosts (mixture of Windows Servers, Switches, Firewalls) by PING only.

Down hosts are notified to me via email and SMS at the moment.

What I would like to so is limit the amount of SMS messages that are sent from my Nokia phone connected to my Ubuntu box.

As it stands I allow 3 checks 1 minute apart before I am alerted via email - after that I am alerted via email every 5 minutes until recovery.

I have just implemented the phone to SMS alerts aswell but I want to limit the amount of texts as I don't want a text every 5 minutes until recovery for sanity reasons and also cost reasons!

This is what I would like to happen If a host goes down:

Email and SMS to be sent out on the 3rd failed check to the host (So 1st alert is sent out after 3 minutes of the host being down.)

Then......

I want to be alerted via email every 5 minutes until the host recovers

But......

I only want 2 more SMS after the initial SMS, 5 minutes apart and then no more SMS until the host is recovered. So I want an SMS after 3, 8 and 13 minutes of the host being down, then a recovery SMS.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards
Andrew

T: 01386 834000
F: 01386 834100

Andrew at fulgent.co.uk<mailto:Andrew at fulgent.co.uk>
www.fulgent.co.uk<http://www.fulgent.co.uk/>

Fulgent Technologies Limited, Haddonsacre, Station Road, Offenham, Evesham, WR11 8JJ. This communication contains information which is confidential and may also be privileged or protected by copyright. It is for the exclusive use of the addressee. If you are not the addressee please note that any distribution, reproduction, copying, publication or use of this communication or the information is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please telephone us immediately and also delete the communication from your computer.