How to route data from multiple nagios core nodes to a nagiosxi node?

Mike Guthrie mguthrie at nagios.com
Fri Nov 11 16:28:06 CET 2011

On 11/10/2011 1:32 PM, Mike Lindsey wrote:
> On 11/8/11 6:06 PM, Benjamin wrote:
>> I have about ten nagios core machines that I currently monitor
>> collectively using MNTOS. Is there a way to feed the data from my
>> nagios core machines to a nagiosXI machine that makes it possible to
>> use the nagiosXI features like the visualization/dashboards/reporting
>> for the services/hosts being monitored by the nagios core nodes? I
>> basically want to replace MNTOS w/ a nagiosXI machine — so that I can
>> utilize its features as a dashboard and reporting node for all the
>> data I receive at each nagios core server.
>>
>> Basically, I want to set up a hub and spoke w/ a nagiosXI machine at
>> the hub and all my nagios core boxes as spokes.
>> I looked into DNX but this looks like it distributes the checks in a
>> different way. Any ideas?
> I'm not as familiar with XI as I'd like, but based on the demos and the
> docs, I think NSCA will do just fine. I believe the configuration would
> be exactly the same as with a normal Nagios Core install.

If you want to simply forward all of your results to a Nagios XI
machine, you can define an OCSP command for all of your services and
forward them along to the XI box.  Nagios XI has a feature in the
Admin->Unconfigured Objects menu that allows you to automatically add
passive hosts and services that are inbound.  Here are some docs with
more details.
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/distributed.html
http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagiosxi/guides/administrator/advanced.php#passivechecks

If you've got additional Nagios XI specific questions, go ahead and post
them to our forum.
http://support.nagios.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

--

Mike Guthrie