Checking External URLs

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Nov 8 23:50:42 CET 2011

On 8 November 2011 22:18, Corey Quinn <corey at sequestered.net> wrote:
> What's the canonically "proper" way to check an external website (that I don't control) within Nagios?  WHat I've done historically has been to define a dummy "urlhost" that I then hang various check_http checks off of, but that seems wrong somehow.

I don't think there is a 'proper' way.  I would think you're probably
best off thinking about the parent relationships though.  If you lose
contact with all your external websites, then what is the furthest
thing that might have gone down?  Is that the customer-facing
interface of your ISP's router maybe?  I would hang your external web
service checks on that.

Obviously if you don't own these external sites then it's polite to
check them infrequently and ask the site owner if it's okay.

Personally I think there's no real substitute for setting up a
monitoring system or two elsewhere out there in the internet if you
want to be really sure a site is available to customers.