What happened to my check_http all of the sudden?

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Thu Nov 3 20:08:12 CET 2011

-H and -L are not even remotely related to each other. -H is followed by the
hostname you're checking and specifies a virtual hostname to check. It is used
to generate the "Host" header in the HTTP request, and in the absence of a
"-I" parameter it is also used to determine the address to send your request
to.

-L is a standalone parameter.  In your original config, -L and
"www.somesite.com" have no relationship to each other, becaus -L does not take
a parameter.  It is used to wrap your URL in HTML to make it a clickable link
in your plugin output. It is a strictly cosmetic option that does not affect
how your check is run in any way.

Since you had not included a hostname to check in your configuration, your
HTTP requests probably never had a valid "Host" header, and Akamai barfed on
those requests in a way your local server did not.