check_http results - interpreting error messages.

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Wed Nov 2 10:09:52 CET 2011

I am monitoring a website, and I sometimes get two types of error:

One is:

CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds

and the other is:

HTTP CRITICAL - No data received from host

What is the difference between the two errors? Is it the case that the
HTTP CRITICAL error connected to the server via TCP, but didn't get a
page and that the Socket timeout error didn't even establish the TCP
connection?

Thanks

Giles