Getting Started with Nagios

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Tue May 31 04:52:20 CEST 2011

> I then restart the web server, expecting to see a new host inf1
>
> But the host count has not increased and I can't see any reference to the
> host.  I also can not see the new host group I defined.
>
> So obviously I am missing something fundamental.
>
> Thanks for any incite you care to share :)

"I then restart the web server"...  If you mean that literally, as
in you restarted Apache, that won't change anything for Nagios.

Apache only provides the web server for the UI, it has nothing to
do with Nagios.  The Nagios daemon is the one you need to restart
(or more accurately, you can send it a SIGHUP signal) to pick up
on your configuration file changes.

Now, if you *did* restart Nagios and your changes aren't appearing
in the web interface, do the following:

1) Stop the Nagios daemon
2) Now, go stop the *other* Nagios daemon(s)

It is a *very* common problem, especially when people are just
starting out, to accidentally start more than one Nagios daemon.
Changes are made, *one* of the Nagios daemons are restarted, while
the other continues to happily run the old configuration (and
show up in the web interface).

Benny

--
"You were doing well until everyone died."
                                    -- "God", Futurama