Services are dependent on the host they run on?

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Fri May 27 12:55:25 CEST 2011

> Yesterday for instance, a host went down because of a hd controller
> failure, and I received 22 sms..

I apologize if this has already been stated, I haven't been following
this thread too closely.

When this happened, was the host down *in a network sense*, or was
it just down in a user sense?  Ie, was it still pingable?

A situation I've dealt with in the past is that a host's network
stack might still be "alive enough" (ie, pingable), while the host
itself is sitting at a kernel panic or locked up.  In that case,
if you're using ping for the host check, Nagios would have no way
of knowing that the host is down, because it still responds.

In those [rare] cases, I've had to define a second command that
requires a more intelligent response from a host, and then used
that as the host check command.  Notable examples would be old
school Sun machines, which are still pingable when they're sitting
at the OK> prompt (ie, operating system is not running).

Just a thought.

Benny

--
"You were doing well until everyone died."
                                    -- "God", Futurama