Services are dependent on the host they run on?

Roberto Nunnari roberto.nunnari at supsi.ch
Fri May 27 09:18:03 CEST 2011

Assaf Flatto wrote:
> Martin Hugo wrote:
>> Hi Robi,
>>
>> I have never done it but I know you can make hosts/services children that will not report if the parent is down.
>>
>> Hope this puts you on the right track.
>>
>> Marty

Hi Assaf.

I already read that.. but it is all about defining dependencies between
services, even between services running on different hosts, but nothing
like a dependency between a service and the host it is running on.. it
should be very simple.. even implicit.. why check services and notify
about services if the host the services are running on is down? There's
no point in it. It's should be implicit, and if somebody needs it, it
should be possible to enable it, but not be the default behaviour.

Following the above documentation, I should define a ping service on
that host, and then declare dependencies on services running on that
host from the ping service!!

No.. it doesn't make much sense.. I tend to believe it's a configuration
error or omission on my side.. it just isn't logical.

Best regards.
Robi