Check_NRPE on AIX

Ryan Edwards wyild1 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 00:39:10 CEST 2011

i dont know anything about using sudo on AIX.  My team  monitors
80 different AIX hosts with a mix of 5.3 and 6.1 versions.  So just a few
points to try

 - Make sure the user you have set to run nrpe is the user ur testing with.
 The nrpe cfg has a spot for a username and group.  We use user nagios with
group system (yes create a nologin AIX account for the nagios user)
 - Make sure the permissions are set  correctly from the plugins to the
nrpe.cfg
 - Test the plugin locally.  In your email you said you can run it, but
which user?  root?  test runing the command from the user that is running
nrpe.

I have a feeling its a file permission problem

Cheers!

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:26 AM, Daniel Ceola <DCeola at twgi.net> wrote:

> Hello all!
>

> I’ve recently been attempting to setup monitoring on my AIX 5.3 servers.
> After some research, I determined that the best way to accomplish this is
> through using NRPE. I downloaded the package here:
> https://www.monitoringexchange.org/inventory/Check-Plugins/Operating-Systems/AIX/AIX-5-3-NRPE-2-12-NSCA-2-7-2-Nagios-Plugins-1-4-11
> and followed instructions here
> http://nagioswiki.com/wiki/index.php/Installing_Nagios_NRPE_on_AIX  to
> install NRPE on the AIX system.  I then found an item in the nagios-users
> archive that suggested that I needed to install sudo on the AIX system and
> change the NRPE config to use sudo for the commands.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/nagios-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg31668.html
>

> I have my nagios server’s IP in the allowed_hosts list within nrpe.cfg
>
> I also have this set (per instructions in below link)
> command_prefix=/usr/bin/sudo
>

> At this point – when I run one of the check (check_disk) scripts locally
> (on the AIX system) that the NRPE package installed, I am able to get a
> result
>

> # check_disk -w 85 -c 95
>
> DISK CRITICAL - free space: / 307 MB (79% inode=98%); (only copied the
> first item, but there was a lot of output)
>

> However, I cannot seem to get my check from my Nagios system to work
> properly.
>
> nagios at UbuntuTest:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.3.15
> -n -c check_aix_disks
>
> NRPE: Unable to read output
>

> The corresponding command in the nrpe.cfg on the AIX system:
> command[check_aix_disks]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 10m -c 2m
> -x /proc
>

> At this point, I’m unsure of what I need to do in order to get this
> working.  If anyone could provide a possible direction, I would be most
> grateful!
>

> Thanks,
>

> Daniel Ceola
>
> Systems & DB Admin
>

> The Wills Group
>
> 6355 Crain Hwy
>
> La Plata, MD 20646
>
> 301-932-3600
>
> 301-932-3643 (direct line)

> reporting any issue.

Christianity: The belief that some cosmic Jewish Zombie can make you live
forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that
you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul
that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking
snake to eat from a magical tree.  Makes perfect sense!