Check_NRPE on AIX

Daniel Ceola DCeola at twgi.net
Wed May 18 15:26:28 CEST 2011

Hello all!

I've recently been attempting to setup monitoring on my AIX 5.3 servers.  After some research, I determined that the best way to accomplish this is through using NRPE. I downloaded the package here: https://www.monitoringexchange.org/inventory/Check-Plugins/Operating-Systems/AIX/AIX-5-3-NRPE-2-12-NSCA-2-7-2-Nagios-Plugins-1-4-11  and followed instructions here http://nagioswiki.com/wiki/index.php/Installing_Nagios_NRPE_on_AIX  to install NRPE on the AIX system.  I then found an item in the nagios-users archive that suggested that I needed to install sudo on the AIX system and change the NRPE config to use sudo for the commands.  http://www.mail-archive.com/nagios-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg31668.html

I have my nagios server's IP in the allowed_hosts list within nrpe.cfg
I also have this set (per instructions in below link) command_prefix=/usr/bin/sudo

At this point - when I run one of the check (check_disk) scripts locally (on the AIX system) that the NRPE package installed, I am able to get a result

# check_disk -w 85 -c 95
DISK CRITICAL - free space: / 307 MB (79% inode=98%); (only copied the first item, but there was a lot of output)

However, I cannot seem to get my check from my Nagios system to work properly.
nagios at UbuntuTest:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.3.15 -n -c check_aix_disks
NRPE: Unable to read output

The corresponding command in the nrpe.cfg on the AIX system:
command[check_aix_disks]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 10m -c 2m -x /proc

At this point, I'm unsure of what I need to do in order to get this working.  If anyone could provide a possible direction, I would be most grateful!

Thanks,

Daniel Ceola
Systems & DB Admin

The Wills Group