Passive check windows clients

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue May 17 13:13:37 CEST 2011

On 17 May 2011 10:31, Andre Tann <atann at alphasrv.net> wrote:

>>Don't use a mac personally, but you can schedule the check locally at a
>>frequency you desire, and submit this to a passive job def with its
>>freshness
>>check disabled so it will never timeout.
>
> Ok. And what piece of software would be needed on the windows side to check disk/load?
>
> Thanks,
> Andre

The NSClient++ agent will do this quite nicely.  You will of course
need nsca installed on your Nagios server to receive and process the
incoming alerts.

The config directives in the NSClient++ configuration file will need
to look something like this:

[modules]
NSCAAgent.dll

[NSCA Agent]
;# CHECK INTERVAL (in seconds)
;   How often we should run the checks and submit the results.
interval=300
;
;# ENCRYPTION METHOD
;   This option determines the method by which the send_nsca client
will encrypt the packets it sends
;   to the nsca daemon. The encryption method you choose will be a
balance between security and
;   performance, as strong encryption methods consume more processor resources.
;   You should evaluate your security needs when choosing an encryption method.
;
; Note: The encryption method you specify here must match the
decryption method the nsca daemon uses
;       (as specified in the nsca.cfg file)!!
; Values:
;	0 = None	(Do NOT use this option)
;	1 = Simple XOR  (No security, just obfuscation, but very fast)
;   2 = DES
;   3 = 3DES (Triple DES)
;	4 = CAST-128
;	6 = xTEA
;	8 = BLOWFISH
;	9 = TWOFISH
;	11 = RC2
;	14 = RIJNDAEL-128 (AES)
;	20 = SERPENT
encryption_method=1
;
;# ENCRYPTION PASSWORD
;  This is the password/passphrase that should be used to encrypt the
sent packets.
password=obfuscate
;
;# BIND TO ADDRESS
;  Allows you to bind server to a specific local address. This has to
be a dotted ip adress not a hostname.
;  Leaving this blank will bind to "one" local interface.
; -- not supported as of now --
;bind_to_address=
;
;# LOCAL HOST NAME
;  The name of this host (if empty "computername" will be used.
;hostname=
;
;# NAGIOS SERVER ADDRESS
;  The address to the nagios server to submit results to.
nsca_host=100.1.2.3
;
;# NAGIOS SERVER PORT
;  The port to the nagios server to submit results to.
nsca_port=5667
;

[NSCA Commands]

CPU=CheckCPU warn=98 crit=99 time=1m warn=90 crit=95 time=5m warn=80
crit=90 time=15m ShowAll
Disks=CheckDriveSize ShowAll MaxWarnUsed=90% MaxCritUsed=95%
CheckAllOthers FilterType=FIXED Drive=E:\

You will probably want to include a passive host check too - I haven't
configured one here as I use an active check myself for those.

hth,

Jim