Problem with Konica and Canon printer

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Thu May 12 14:20:14 CEST 2011

On 11/05/11 14:36, Andre Tann wrote:
> Hello Adam,
>
> Adam Sweet, Donnerstag 05 Mai 2011:
>
>> Take a look at Transitiv's check_snmp_printer.pl check:
>>
>> http://www.transitiv.co.uk/resources-page/nagios-plugins
>
> Thanks for you hint. I have installed this plugin now, but it seems not
> to be too chatty:
>
> # ./check_snmp_printer.pl -H kyocera.company.com
> check_snmp_printer OK - Status: idle
>
> Well, it's true that the printer is OK and idle. But how can one check
> details about toner and paper status?
>
> Do I overlook some option?

If the printer doesn't report any issues with paper or toner, then the
plugin won't tell you about it.

The way it works is that there are device and printer status OIDs in the
SNMP tree on the printers which says overall if everything is OK. If
it's not OK, the plugins looks up the detected error state OID for the
cause and then tells you what the problem is.

The RFC the plugin is based upon defines the possible error states to be
one of the following:

Paper low
No paper
Toner low
No toner
Door open
Jammed
Offline
Service needed

If any of those are the case then the plugin will tell you, if there are
no error states then it won't. I didn't see you say that you wanted to
query for current toner and paper levels explicitly, if that's what you
want then this plugin won't help you as it's not in the RFC and we
didn't find that information in the SNMP tree on the printers we tested
against.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

--