enable SNMP trap handling in Nagios

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Tue May 10 20:02:24 CEST 2011

On 5/10/11 9:46 AM, khurram aziz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am using Nagios 3.2.3 & want to enable SNMP Trap Handling so that I
> can check uptime of my servers ( snmp service has already been enabled
> on the servers).
>
> can sum1 help me with the configuration.
Well, first off you don't need snmp traps to check uptime.

$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H localhost -o
.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 -C xxxxxx
SNMP OK - Timeticks: (362041566) 41 days, 21:40:15.66 |
$

If all you want to see is an uptime counter, add a service that does
that.  Replace localhost with $HOSTADDRESS$, and replace xxxxxx with
your snmp community.  Unfortunately, check_snmp doesn't seem to support
having warning or critical thresholds, so unless snmpd is down, that
will always return ok.  You can use snmpget to get the raw timeticks:

$ snmpget -Ovt -v2c -c xxxxx localhost .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0
36207797
$

If you want a critical alert every time a box has rebooted, write a
shell script that calls that snmpget command, passing in the host
address and snmp community via the command line.  Of course, that will
throw an Unknown while the box is actually down (snmp can't tell if the
host is down, or if you've passed the wrong snmp community.)

If what you really want is to know when your box is down, use check_ssh:
$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ssh localhost
SSH OK - OpenSSH_5.1p1 FreeBSD-20080901 (protocol 2.0)
$

That will throw a critical any time it can't connect, or if it can
connect but the ssh version string isn't found.

If you still want to use snmp traps, here's a link to some lovely
documentation:

http://snmptt.sourceforge.net/docs/snmptt.shtml

There's even a section on integrating with Nagios, though I suggest you
get some coffee and a snack and read the whole page.

--
Mike Lindsey