Distributed Nagios Configuration with Passive Checks

Ton Voon tonvoon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:26:21 CET 2011

On 21 Mar 2011, at 02:43, Samuel Kidman wrote:

> I am trying to set up a distributed nagios configuration that will monitor n mine-sites. There is a single master server that will accept passive checks from all of the mine sites providing a unified view of network status throughout the organisation.
>
> I have set up host groups that represent groups of hosts with similar function and have the same service checks ran against them such as switches and PLCs. Whenever we get a new device I can just add it to the right host group and it gets all of its service checks by being a member of that hostgroup.
>
> My question is how do I disable active checks for the service checks for the remote minesites without having to create a separate service check for each site? The only thing I’ve been able to think of is using an external command at nagios start up that checks all of the services on the master server and works out which ones belong to remote sites and then disables active checks on each one, but this seems like a messy way.
>
> If there was a way to have host group intersections in the hostgroups property in service checks I could specify two services and two hostgroups – a local and a remote one. The local check applys to its function group AND all devices at the head office while the remote check applies to its function group AND all remote hosts, however at present I think this functionality is unavailable.
>
> Just looking for some configuration suggestions on how to get this to work.

You want to use templating so that the master is set to "active checks enabled no" while the slave is set to "active checks enabled yes".

In Opsview (http://opsview.com), our db based configuration database knows if a host is monitored on the master or on a remote slave. We generate configurations for a host (and services) appropriately. We've also done loads of work so you can manage it from the central master and it will distribute downtimes/acknowledgements/disables to slave systems as well.

Ton