Distributed Nagios Configuration with Passive Checks

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 14:44:23 CET 2011

If I understand you correctly, are you trying to have your master server
accept passive checks from other Nagios servers and check services and
servers itself?

If so, what I think would be easier (and is the method recommended by the
docs) would be to just set up a second Nagios server (or instance) to run
the checks that the master is currently doing and have the master only
accept passive checks.

The master would have enable_notifications on, execute_service_checks off.
The slaves would have enable_notifications off, execute_service_checks on.

There's more to it than just that, read the following guide for more
information:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/distributed.html

Also, if you simply want a unified interface, you might want to look at
Nagios Fusion.  I haven't used it, but it might be what you want.

Good luck,
Jeffrey.