NRPE and include_dir

Mike Chesnut mikec at aggregateknowledge.com
Tue Mar 15 16:16:16 CET 2011

On 03/14/2011 07:00 PM, Mike Chesnut wrote:
> We're trying to use the include_dir directive in NRPE with an
> /etc/nagios/nrpe.d/ directory.  My assumption was that files in this
> directory would be loaded in alphanumeric order, but it seems to only
> load in alphabetical order, ignoring numerals.

To follow up on this, it turns out that in nrpe.c, readdir() is used to
load files from the config directory, which is totally non-deterministic
in the order the files are read.

I believe this to be a bug, as I think it's a reasonable expectation
(based on how pretty much every other program that allows you to include
a conf.d directory works) for the files to be loaded in alphanumeric order.

Is there a reason anybody knows of that this belief is incorrect?  If
not, I'll work on a patch.

Thanks,
Mike