NSClient++. Monitoring the devices behind the Firewall.

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Mar 15 15:27:58 CET 2011

On 15 March 2011 13:47, C. Bensend <benny at bennyvision.com> wrote:

>> If you're looking to do this without cooperation from the client
>> and their security folks, you're going to run into problems.  If
>> they want you to monitor their hosts, they have to provide some
>> manner of accessing them.
>
> Just to be thorough, passive monitoring is also a possibility.
> In that case, each of the clients would be configured to send the
> service check results to the Nagios server, and would probably
> not require any changes to the firewall.
>
> However, I choose to use active monitoring, so I cannot help
> with that setup, nor would I necessarily recommend it.

I would echo what Benny said there having tried it myself.  Passive
monitoring is possible, and fairly easy to set up using the NSClient++
agent, but can be more trouble than it is worth as whenever you need
to make any change you have to log on to the remote server to change
the NSClient++ config.  If it's behind two firewalls then I would
guess that might not be easy.

If it's a large site with lots of servers, I would maybe consider
deploying a Nagios server on that site so there is only then one node
which needs to communicate back and forth with your central Nagios
server.  As ever, there are lots of different ways you can slice and
dice this problem.