service notification logged but not done

MAYER Hans mayer at iiasa.ac.at
Wed Mar 9 10:29:19 CET 2011

Dear all

Using Nagios since a lot of years, I was starting with one of the first versions of "netsaint", and more than 25 years of experience with UNIX, I have now a strange problem I never had before.
I am running Nagios Core 3.2.3 on Solaris 10 OS. Hardware is M3000 with SPARC V9 architecture.

My problem is, I see sometimes - not always - a service notification in the log, but it is not really done.

Here an example, the entry in the log

[03-09-2011 09:13:25] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: sms_mayer;amazon;DISK/p14amazon;OK;notify-service-by-sms;DISK OK - free space: /p14amazon 4531 MB (6% inode=99%):

Here is the definition for notify-service-by-sms

# 'notify-service-by-sms' command definition
define command{
        command_name    notify-service-by-sms
        command_line    $USER1$/rshsendsms $CONTACTPAGER$ \"Info: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ $SERVICEOUTPUT$ \"
        }

As you see I execute a command named "rshsendsms". And this are the first lines of the shell script:

:

# Wed Jan 19 10:12:15 MET 2011 - mayer initial
# Wed Feb 16 10:11:54 MET 2011 - mayer logging the UID

# usage:
# rshsendsms 0043664xxxxxxx  '"hello world - how are you "'
# info: both types of apostrophes are important

export PATH LOG NUMBER TEXT ID UID NOTSENT RUNLOG

PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH

LOG=/var/adm/rshsendsms.log
RUNLOG=/var/adm/rshsendsms_run.log

date '+%y%m%d %H:%M' >> $RUNLOG

The first action I do, I write a log-entry. (91% of the disk is free) But in this case I cannot find the entry. The last one is dated with  110309 06:39, where I received a SMS really. I also switched on the process accounting weeks ago. But there is no entry to be found, that the shell script was executed.
I also switched on the debug facility of "syslog". I can find an equivalent entry like in the Nagios log. But there are no other messages, that something could be wrong.
But on other hand I was informed at 06:39 and nothing was changed in the meantime. This is not the first time this problem happens. Most of the time notification works fine, but sometimes not. This is of course a pain as notification is one central functionality of Nagios.

Any idea where I can start searching for the error ?

Kind regards
Hans