Monitoring who is connected to Samba share

dave stern - e-mail.pluribus.unum dit.dash at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 18:15:56 CET 2011

I  don't know of any plug-in but you can roll your own.

If you're already running samba on a linux box, you can mess with
the output of     net status shares
assuming users pick up (mount) their homes when they login to Windows.
I believe this also shows login times

For a more generic solution (if you don't want to run samba and join
the domain),
I've had some luck with the sysinternals tools, psloggedon.  I set up
a scheduled
job on a windows host that searches all windows hosts for logins and dumps the
output to a share I can see on the linux side. A linux host then
parses the crap out
of this and makes a nice web page.  Ugly, but it works.  I bet a good
vbs programmer
could do it all on the windows side and this could be tied in to a
linux nagios server via
NRPE, NSClient++ NSCA or whatever.