Which GUI to configure Nagios 3 ?

Andre Kruger Andre.Kruger at TRW.COM
Tue Mar 1 12:51:13 CET 2011

I have been using NagiosQL (http://www.nagiosql.org/) for more than a year now with great success and they are on the verge of releasing a new version so might be worth a look. you can always move from a GUI driven environment to manual file editing.

>>> Max Schubert <maxs at webwizarddesign.com> 2011/02/25 15:20 >>>
We do have 60+ sysadmins using a shared instance of Nagios without a
configuration UI - all Nagios configuration files are in SVN, current
we monitor around 5300 hosts.

We found with a little training the sysadmins were happy to take the
hit on learning in order to have the flexibility of the full power of
the config language.

We avoided implementing or integrating a web-based UI because all of
them take away various capabilities of the language - we did not want
to treat our audience like dummies, so instead we went the path of
providing training and mentoring to them and empowered them to use the
language themselves.

Was this a lot of work for us, especially when we started?  YES.

Was it an approach that respected our user base and gave them the
ability to do what they needed to do with minimal intervention from
us? YES.

- Max

On 2/24/11, Breandan Dezendorf <breandan at dezendorf.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Ennis Ibarra <ennis at nmcourts.gov> wrote:
>> My two cents:
>>
>> Once you lock up your configuration to a given tool, then you stick with
>> the
>> tool capabilities to configure stuff.     The real power is understanding
>> the Nagios structure and files, leave the GUIs for presentation only.
>
> I agree - but when you're trying to serve a large community of
> sysadmins, a GUI tool is a useful tool for getting the job done.  I
> can't teach 60+ admins how to write clean nagios configs, but I can
> teach them to use web-based tools.
>
> --
> Breandan Dezendorf
> breandan at dezendorf.com
> bwdezend at gmail.com

> Free Software Download: Index, Search & Analyze Logs and other IT data in
> Real-Time with Splunk. Collect, index and harness all the fast moving IT
> data
> generated by your applications, servers and devices whether physical,
> virtual
> any issue.

Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail or any other document. Ask yourself whether you need a hard copy.