Problem connecting to nsclient++

Pete Dewell pete at stuff-done.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 10:24:33 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have an odd problem connecting to a Windows host running nsclient++

We have a server, running Nagios 3.2.0 under RedHat Fedora 12, which
connects over a VPN to another network. We are already monitoring other
devices over the VPN with no problem (phone systems, wireless access
points etc).

I have to add a Windows box, running windows 7, to the monitoring. I
have installed nsclient++ on it using a configuration that works with
other Windows machines. However, the nagios server is unable to connect
to the nsclient - the connection times out. Trying to telnet in on the
nsclient port also gives a timeout.

To make things worse, I can connect (via telnet) from other machines on
the nagios server network, so I know that nsclient is running correctly.
I am also able to connect from other networks without any issue.

Running nsclient++ -test I can see all other machines connecting in, and
giving results as expected. However, when I try & connect from the main
nagios server there is nothing, not even an "unauthorized access"
message (yes, I've checked that as well).

The server can ping the windows machine OK, and the windows firewall is
turned off. The windows machine can also ping back to the nagios server,
so there is a link there.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete Dewell

--

Pete Dewell | Stuff Done
pete at stuff-done.co.uk

** The information contained in this message, including any
attachment, is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure. The information is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete this message from your
system. Any review, re-transmission, distribution or other use of this
is prohibited. *