Separate mail server problems cause Nagios to plotz (or vice versa?)

Terry Carmen terry at cnysupport.com
Fri Jun 24 22:11:45 CEST 2011

>>> Simultaneously, Nagios, which is on a separate server, will send
>> out
>>> notifications that every
>>> service on every server is down because Nagios cannot reach them.
>>

>> Why can't it reach them? Is your mail server also your router?
>
> Good Gosh, no!  That's why this is so puzzling.

The next time it happens, unplug your mail server's network connection (it failed anyway). I'll bet it's flooding the network with (good?/bad?) packets and nagios can't get through.

It taking the mailserver offline fixes it, at least you know where to look,

I'd also check the mailserver logs. Some aren't too bright about handling bounces and if it's misconfiigured, you can end up with an infinite number of bounce messages for the bounce messages.

Terry