Nagios Host Check Behaviour

Daniel Tuecks dtuecks at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 24 01:20:33 CEST 2011

Hello,

sounds like you want 'on demand host checks'.

"Regularly scheduled host checks are optional. If you set the
check_interval option in your host definition to zero (0), Nagios will
not perform checks of the hosts on a regular basis. It will, however,
still perform on-demand checks of the host as needed for other parts
of the monitoring logic.

On-demand checks are made when a service associated with the host
changes state because Nagios needs to know whether the host has also
changed state. Services that change state are often an indicator that
the host may have also changed state. For example, if Nagios detects
that the HTTP service associated with a host just changed from a
CRITICAL to an OK state, it may indicate that the host just recovered
from a reboot and is now back up and running. "

This is quoted from the official Nagios Documenation:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/hostchecks.html

Regards
Daniel