nagios architecture

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Jun 23 10:17:46 CEST 2011

On 22 June 2011 20:35, Manish Kumar <manikumar85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi frnds..
> Recently someone asked me about nagios architecture. Can anyone discuss in
> details about nagios architecture. Better if someone has some ppt/diagram on
> it to explain it better.
>
> --
> Thanks
> Manish Kumar
> http://in.linkedin.com/in/manishkumar85

Manish,

there are now so many different ways that people use Nagios with
various add-ons which give you different ways to structure a Nagios
system it would be a huge task to document all of them.

Thankfully there are a few books on the subject - that's probably the
best way to get a head start with understanding Nagios and how it
works.  The one I found most useful is by Wolfgang Barth
http://nostarch.com/nagios.htm  It's probably not the most up-to-date,
but explains the standard Nagios architecture very well.

Various organisations and companies are doing interesting work with
the Nagios architecture, in particular providing effecient ways to
scale it out and provide redundancy.  One you will hear about quite a
lot is Merlin http://www.op5.org/community/plugin-inventory/op5-projects/merlin

Cheers,

Jim