Best practices for running Nagios across multiple data centers

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jun 22 20:22:20 CEST 2011

On 06/22/2011 06:34 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> I've had a lot of experience using Nagios in my previous job, where we
> used it to monitor numerous hosts and many different types of services -
> albeit all in the same data center.
>
> In my new job, however, I need to set up more sophisticated monitoring,
> since we have servers located in multiple data centers, with each data
> center containing a bunch of servers behind a firewall.  What are some
> of the best approaches for Nagios to handle monitoring a setup like this?

Use three servers. One view-server where you just consolidate everything
and two pollers. On the two pollers you just split configuration so that
each handle their own data-center.

Merlin is well suited for this, and it'll do the config-splitting and
syncing on its own. You'll find the code for it at
http://git.op5.org/git/?p=nagios/merlin.git;a=summary and some more info
at http://www.op5.org/community/plugin-inventory/op5-projects/merlin

Hope you like it. Just don't follow the ages-old download link from the
project page. I'll make sure to update it in a while, but use the tarball
link from the gitweb page for now.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.