added host not appearing in web interface

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Sat Jun 11 15:41:23 CEST 2011

Hi Daniel --

Thanks for your reply. I took your advice concerning the configuration file, and
I have to confess my having done a rookie mistake.

There were older versions of the configuration files in the
/usr/local/nagios/etc directory, and I made the modifications to those files.
The problem
is, the current files used by Nagios are located in the
/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects folder. Once I made the changes in that location,
the host
appeared without issue.

Thanks again for the help.

________________________________

From: Daniel Tuecks [mailto:dtuecks at googlemail.com]
Sent: Sat 6/11/2011 7:32 AM
To: Nagios Users List
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] added host not appearing in web interface

Hi Andrew,

wheater the NRPE daemon is running or not has nothing to do with your
host not appearing in the WebUI. In fact, it would be a little silly
if a host is only shown if its reachable ;) First check that Nagios
actually reads your config file (nagios.cfg: cfg_file/cfg_dir
parameters). Be sure you have defined that host in your nagios config
with at least one service (define host { .... }; define service { ....
}).  Also make sure your host/service definition has no "register 0"
parameter and that your user is allowed to see the host (by a
contact(group) or via "authorized_for_all_hosts" parameter in
cgi.cfg).

Daniel

2011/6/10 Kaplan, Andrew H. <AHKAPLAN at partners.org>:
> Hi there --
>
> We are running Nagios 3.1.2 with the NRPE 2.12 client on our systems. We
> recently installed the VirtualBox application
> on one of our monitored systems, and have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit as the
> guest operating system. We want to monitor
> the disk usage, processes, mysql server, and rsyslogd daemon on the virtual
> machine, so the NRPE client was installed
> and configured to start on system boot. After that was done, the appropriate
> changes were made to the various config files
>
> on the Nagios server. The virtual machine and Nagios server were rebooted,
> in that order, after the changes were made.
>
> When going through the web interface on the Nagios server, the virtual host
> does not appear listed in any of the pages.
>
> I confirmed the nrpe daemon was operational on the client, and also verified
> that port 5666 was open, and the firewall on the
>
> client was deactivated. The nrpe daemon is run via the /etc/rc.local file
> using the following command syntax:
>
> /usr/local/nrpe/bin/nrpe -n -c /usr/local/nrpe/etc/nrpe.cfg -d
>
> I checked the Nagios server, and confirmed the virtual host was listed in
> the /etc/hosts as well as the nagios configuration
>
> files. The nslookup command, run on server and client, confirmed the
> presence of the virtual host in the DNS database.
>
> What would cause the client not to appear in the Nagios web interface, and
> how can I correct it?
>
> Thanks.

> e-mail
> HelpLine at
> error
> properly
> dispose of the e-mail.
> any issue.

::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any
issue.