How to scale the performance of nagios

Manish Kumar manikumar85 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 21:24:34 CEST 2011

Hello Friends,

I have just implemented this nagios-3.2.3 solution to monitor a large client
infrastructure, i have to monitor say around 200 network switches for around
20 services in each switch and some linux servers around 10 services, and
many windows servers with around 6 services to monitor. I have put the
configuration for all these in the various config files of nagios like
switch.cfg for switches, localhost.cfg for linux servers, windows.cfg for
windows servers. So infact the config files have grown very large in size.

I have a single stand alone implementation of nagios server i.e single
nagios server monitoring entire IT infrastructure of the client(not the
distributed one).

I want to know this thing that, is it very normal for the standalone
implementation of nagios to monitor the size of infrastructure that i have
mentioned quite efficiently without any delay in the alerts and
notifications. Since i am monitoring very critical network elements any
delay in the host/service failure notification will harm us.
What i have observed is that nagios has become slow in sending notifications
and there is delay in sending a notification on actual failure of a critical
host/service. Is nagios is not very fast in doing the service checks for all
these around 300 hosts and 300*15 approx. services very fastly, efficiently
and reliably. It is a very worst thing that a critical network
element/service has got down now and we are getting the notification for the
same after a delay of say 5 minutes.

How to scale the performance of my implementation of nagios(on fedora 14) so
that it should be reliable. What is the difference between active checks and
passive checks. will it be useful to enable passive checks for all these
instead of active check to increase the performance and will it be reliable.
if yes how we can enable the same.

Any help will indeed be helpful to me and others in situations like me...
:)

--
Thanks
Manish Kumar