IPv6 support

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Fri Jun 10 14:31:56 CEST 2011

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] IPv6 support
From: Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se>
To: Nagios Users List <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: 2011-06-10 14:09

> So give _address6 official status *in the ui*. Or make a config item
> that lets users specify which custom variables to show in the UI. Or
> show all of them by default. That's a change that actually makes sense,
> would have been far less intrusive and would have made very nearly
> everyone happy (especially the "configure which you want to see", with
> a general switch to show all and then include/exclude parameters to
> filter passwords and whatnot out of the UI). Wasn't that the real
> reason behind the patches in the first place? That's at least the only
> real unique benefit from this over using custom vars.
>
> The problem here is actually laziness and possibly poor maintenance.
> When presented with the patch, you need to ask the submitter; "What
> purpose does this patch serve and why is it so generally important
> that we have to break the ABI?" Given some prodding, you would have
> found out that the user really just wants to see a special custom
> variable in the web-interface. Achieving that is basically peanuts,
> given half a day and a junior coder fresh out of kindergarten, so
> it's quite likely the submitter could have been persuaded to rewrite
> the patch like that so it would have been easy to maintain it. It
> would also have made it acceptable in the Nagios core and would have
> made life easier for those broker module authors that actually care
> about supporting Icinga and for the users that use modules with it.
>
> That turned a bit harsh there. Sorry about that.

conclusion - you won't accept such patches, i can live with the extra
work they will cause. even with addons staying compatible with icinga
but not supprting the address6 field. everything else still remains
compatible and tested. but that's not the point within nagios related stuff.
there are other nagios patches pending, still breaking the abi (see some
of opsviews patches and those from nagios-devel) which will make a
change happen somewhere in the future. so maybe after a while users
demand (even those from your customers), and it will hit nagios too.
until then, let's just ask people out there what they really want and
how *they* would achieve that. either live with it, patch it or even pay
for it.

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center