IPv6 support

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jun 9 18:19:40 CEST 2011

On 06/09/2011 02:45 PM, Michael Friedrich wrote:
> nap wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Mark Elsen <mark.elsen at gmail.com
>> <mailto:mark.elsen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se
>> <mailto:ae at op5.se>> wrote:
>>
>> That's probably not completely true, because the config files allow
>> you to specify IP addresses, if so desired. If IPv6 aware, these
>> should, at least,be parsed correctly ?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In fact no. Like Andreas said, Nagios do not even understand what
>> an IP is. It's just a string for it to be pass to plugins as a
>> macro (still a string). It will not parse it.
>
> But it's good to have another address6 attribute in the host object
> in order to assign 2 addresses, use them via macros and not to depend
> on custom variables.

Why? If the host is reachable via ip6, it's reachable via ip6 and
that's what you configure. If it's not, you configure ip4 instead.
Besides; the kernel automagically translates ip4 addresses to ip6
ones on ip6 only interfaces, and does the same for ip6 addresses
on ip4-only ones. It's mentioned in the spec that the protected
segments for internal use will remain protected in ip6 as well.
If they weren't, migrating from one to the other would be complete
hell and damn near impossible without superhuman effort.

> the patch on nagios exchange applies rather clean to nagios upstream.
> i've tried that myself whilst patching it into icinga, whereas the
> ipv6 support is happening thanks to that patch, with some slight
> enhancements to classicui and idoutils, but breaking the abi for
> other modules using host objects. but i can live with that, having
> the possibility of easy to use dualstacked monitoring like described
> here in the common ipv6 approach:
> https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/Dualstack+%28IPv4%2C+IPv6%29+monitoring+with+Icinga

I remain unimpressed. A far cleverer solution would be to have a
single check run against all non-protected addresses and let that
plugin look up the ip6 address for the host somewhere else (or
through a custom variable fetched via livestatus or something, which
doesn't break the ABI), and then simply report back if any of them
stop working.

If this patch had been accompanied by something to make conditional
macros and command_line arguments work, I'd have cheered all the way
though.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.