How to monitor specific windows services using nsclient++

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Wed Jun 8 20:43:37 CEST 2011

> Thanks Benny,..but still i couldn't understand is check_nrpe is used for
> monitoring windows servers because what i know it's for monitoring remote
> linux servers only.. If yes do i need to install check_nrpe on my Nagios
> Server..
>
> Also i am already monitoring these basic things but i want to monitor
> specific services for e.g say mssql running or down..Similarly other
> important windows services...

NSClient++ listens for NRPE requests as well, on TCP port 5666.  Hence,
if you have NSClient++ installed on your Windows systems, you can use
check_nrpe to talk to them.  And yes, then you'd need to install the
check_nrpe tool on your Nagios server.

I prefer using check_nrpe, I only use check_nt for a very small number
of services.

The command definition I gave you will check a service on a remote
Windows server to see if it's running or not.  So, open up your
Windows services snap-in, and you can check any of the services
listed the same way.

--
"You were doing well until everyone died."
                                    -- "God", Futurama