Fwd: How to monitor specific windows services using nsclient++

Daniel Ceola DCeola at twgi.net
Wed Jun 8 20:41:43 CEST 2011

Hi,

I use NSClient++ to monitor a number of services on our servers here.  For example, DNS Server, DHCP Server, IIS, Exchange store, and some services for line of business apps.

The command definition I use is:
# 'check_nt' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_nt
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 12489 -v $ARG1$ $ARG2$
        }

Service definition:
#dhcp server
define service{
        use                     generic-service
        host_name               servername
        service_description     DHCP Server
        check_command           check_nt!SERVICESTATE!-d SHOWALL -l dhcpserver
        }
# Exchange Store service
define service{
        use                     generic-service
        host_name               exchangeserver
        service_description     Exchange Store Service
        check_command           check_nt!SERVICESTATE!-d SHOWALL -l MSExchangeIS
        }

>From what I have read, you need to use the service name that you would use if starting/stopping the service from a command line, rather than the display name from the services.msc snapin.  You can easily find the service name by running "sc query" at command prompt from the server (or by looking it up in the system registry)

Hope this helps!

Thanks,