Getting null when checking remote load.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jun 8 15:47:54 CEST 2011

On 06/08/2011 03:27 PM, Tõnis Trei wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have run into a small problem when tried to set up Nagios on a new system
> from scratch and can't figure out whats wrong. Everything looks to be kinda
> ok but maybe im overseeing something :)
>
> Nagios is returning NULL when checking load on a remote machine.
>
> I defined service:
> define service {
>          use                             generic-service
>          hostgroup_name                  linux-servers
>          service_description             load
>          check_command
> check_remote_load!$_HOSTLOADWARNING$!$_HOSTLOADCRITICAL$
>          servicegroups                   +load
>          first_notification_delay        10
>          contact_groups
> }
>
> and i defined a command in command.cfg
> define command{
>          command_name    check_remote_load
>          command_line    $USER1$/check_munin.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -M load -w
> $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$
> }
>
> Check_munin.pl is added on a remote machine.
> Munin is installed on the same machine as Nagios and the IP is in ALLOW list
> on munin remote node.
> Also munin.conf contains the entry for the remote host.
>
> But for some reason i still get back null when forcing nagios to check the
> load.
>
> Any thoughts on what wrong or how to debug this? :)

Nagios doesn't automagically run some commands from the remote node.
By your explanation, the check_munin.pl script is installed on the
remote server and munin is installed on the nagios server. You've
either explained the situation extremely poorly or completely
misunderstood how networking machines are allowed to talk to each
other in the unix world.

Either way, you need to rethink your mail, read it out loud a few
times and then fix what's broken with the mail or your thinking. If
that doesn't cause the bulb to go on in your head, I suggest you get
back here with more details about the setup. Use hostnames for the
nagios server and the server you're monitoring and explain what's
installed where when you mail again; Even if they're fake names,
they'll at least give us something to identify the different nodes
by so we can be sure what's done where.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.