Non obvious 127 plugin error

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Jun 7 10:16:38 CEST 2011

On 06/02/2011 02:43 PM, Craig Stewart wrote:
> All,
>
> SELinux was enabled (DOH!) and has been now disabled.  Didn't fix my
> problem though.  Thanks for that Clint, I don't know HOW many times
> SELinux has bitten me.  Should know by now.
>
> I ran the strace as suggested by Justin and saw THIS little tidbit flash by:
>
> 11769 execve("/bin/sh", ["sh", "-c", "/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_dig
> -H 142.166.86.18 -l www.xplornet.com -a 142.166.86.46 -w 0.5 -c 1 -t
> 5"], [/* 189 vars */]) = -1 E2BIG (Argument list too long)
> 11751 --- {si_signo=SIGCHLD, si_code=CLD_EXITED, si_pid=11769,
> si_status=127, si_utime=0, si_stime=0} (Child exited) --
>
> Argument list too long????  So, SOMETHING (I suspect the shell) doesn't
> like that many arguments passed.  Well, making progress.

Disable environment macros. They will fsck up the memory used for
passing arguments if you have large host- or service-groups. Since
the argument and environment memory space is limited to 128K on
most systems (a hardcoded value that can't be changed with ulimit),
large host or servicegroups can easily consume all of it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.