service escalation on all services of all hosts

Michael Barrett loki77 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 23:12:02 CEST 2011

Hi, I'm having a problem with an example given in the Tips & Tricks documentation page. Currently I'm running: Nagios Core 3.2.0

Anyway, the tip I'm trying is from here http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagioscore/3/en/objecttricks.html#serviceescalation

The particular tip reads:

All Services On Same Host:
If you want to create service escalations for all services assigned to a particular host, you can use a wildcard in the service_description directive. The definition below would create a service escalation for all services on host HOST1. All the instances of the service escalation would be identical (i.e. have the same contact groups, notification interval, etc.).

If you feel like being particularly adventurous, you can specify a wildcard in both the host_name and service_description directives. Doing so would create a service escalation for all services that you've defined in your configuration files.

##########

So I tried the following:

define serviceescalation {
    name                    email-all
    first_notification      1
    last_notification       0
    notification_interval   120
    contact_groups          ops-group

    register 0
}

define serviceescalation {
    use                     email-all
    host_name               *
    service_description     *
}

And when I go to restart nagios I get the following:

Error: Could not expand hostgroups and/or hosts specified in service (config file '/etc/nagios3/conf.d/services.cfg', starting on line 34)
   Error processing object config files!

Anyone know why this is a problem?  Am I missing something in the documentation, or is it just incorrect?

--
Michael Barrett
loki77 at gmail.com