Scheduled downtime and host checks

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:26:26 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Kumar, Ashish <xml.devel at gmail.com> wrote:

>> No, scheduled downtime only affects notifications, and the stats you
>> see in the availability cgi.  Service and host checks run as normal
>> during scheduled downtime.
>

> Thanks Jim for the explanation but I do not see any rational reason to
> execute host and service checks while the monitored host is scheduled for
> "fixed" downtime.

There are plenty of rational reasons.  Just because you disagree with the
default behavior doesn't mean it's irrational.  Many, many, many times I put
systems into scheduled, fixed downtime and still want checks to be executed.
 For example, if I know the netadmins are going to be reconfiguring
networking at one of our datacenters I will schedule fixed downtime for the
period of their maintenance for the servers/switches/routers affected.

However, I do want to see what's up and down during that time so I can tell
when they start and finish their work, and what they're affecting.  That's a
perfectly rational reason to do checks during maintenance.

> This is useful because it allows you to
>> check the stats of those hosts and services are ok before the
>> scheduled downtime period ends.
>>

> But if the host/services are offline after the scheduled "fixed" downtime
> period ends it will send the notifications anyway (or would it not?)
>
> I wish there was a way to disable active checks while a host has scheduled
> downtime set.

If the hosts and services are down after the downtime ends yes it will send
notifications, as clearly either:

1) The maintenance window wasn't long enough.
2) Someone broke something, or something died for another reason during
maintenance

Sounds like proper behavior.

As far as your question goes, you can disable active checks manually, or you
can write a script that sets downtime and disables active checks at the same
time.  You could then run it (manually or via 'at' or something else) to
re-enable active checks.  Or hack the Nagios source code and add that option
yourself.  I believe in the last week or so someone posted a sample script
for setting downtime via a script, so you might search the archives.

Jeffrey.