NRPE client issues

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Jul 20 19:00:35 CEST 2011

On 20 July 2011 17:29, Julie S. Lin <jlin at livescribe.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am monitoring a windows box with very basic out of the box plugins
> using nsclient
>
> However, whenever we start using this box there is great load on this
> box
> (which is a server class machine)  and causes the nagios checks to time
> out and falsely page.
>
> Has any one run into this issue and how to resolve?

I come across this sort of thing more so with Unix test servers than Windows.

I expect the easiest way to resolve this would be to configure
NSClient++ to run the checks and send the results to Nagios using
nsca.  That way the agent will run them in its own sweet time and if
they are rather slow it shouldn't matter too much.

Alternatively you might be able to reduce the number of notifications
you get by setting up a servicedependency so all of the checks are
dependent on just one of them.

If the alerts are "Unknown" rather than "Warning" or "Critical" then
you can probably filter out the notifications using the
notification_options directive either on the service definition or
even on the contact definition.

As ever, there are lots of different ways to approach the same
problem!  I hope that helps a little.