Macro values don't seem to be consistent

Claudio Kuenzler ck at claudiokuenzler.com
Mon Jul 11 16:42:13 CEST 2011

Hello,

Since today I have almost the same problem as Jim.
The $HOSTALIAS$ macro works fine for all the checks, except one host alias
is wrong. I got aware of it today.

Same version as Jim's, 3.2.3, compiled from source as well.

Host config:

define host{
        use                     linux-platform-demo     ; Name of host
template to use
                                                        ; This host
definition will inherit all variables that are defined
                                                        ; in (or inherited
by) the linux-server host template definition.
        host_name               server14
        alias                   SERVER14-RANDOMDEMO
        address                 192.168.0.14
        }

However in the notification e-mail the alias appears like this:

*Subject: ** PROBLEM Service Alert: SERVER17-RANDPROD/Service Check is
CRITICAL ***

* ***** Nagios ******

* Notification Type: PROBLEM
Service: Service Check
Host: SERVER17-RANPROD
Address: 192.168.0.14
State: CRITICAL
Date/Time: Mon Jul 11 11:12:20 CEST 2011

Additional Info: *
*CRITICAL No connection to 192.168.0.20!*

Note that the IP address is correct. Only the Host (which uses $HOSTALIAS$
if I'm not mistaken) is wrong. As this is also used in the subject of the
mail, a great confusion happened here at work today ;-).

I checked all host definitions for wrong alias values, but did not find so.
Anyone got an idea?
Maybe this is related to the problem Jim found, too.

thx
ck