Wildcards in service escalations query

Paul M. Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Tue Jul 5 20:25:17 CEST 2011

Mohit Chawla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If we have:
>
> define serviceescalation {
>      host_name                  *
>      service_description    *
> }
>
> , then, if there is no service associated with a host, this definition
> will be regarded invalid. But what about if a particular service is
> not associated with any host ? Will it fail in that case as well ? I
> was able to find hosts which don't have any services defined, and I
> used:
> define serviceescalation {
>      host_name                      *, !foo.com, !bar.com
>      service_description        *
> }
> , where foo and bar are the hosts with no services defined. But I
> still get 'could not expand services ....' error on this escalation
> definition.
>
> Any clues ?

As long as any hosts that match the host_name directive have no services
defined, you will get this error.  The escalation apparently wants to have
host/service pairs.  It's a service escalation and all services must be
assigned to a host.  It doesn't automatically discard hosts that have no
services.  To get around this you can use a hostgroup that contains only hosts
with services assigned.  I've given an example here:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27615125