Better way to check Cisco switches?

dave stern - e-mail.pluribus.unum dit.dash at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 16:31:48 CEST 2011

Nagios is a phenomenal tool but isn't necessarily a silver bullet.
Nagios does try a certain number of times before a soft failure
becomes a hard failure. This can be adjusted. Also, many people
have replaced a very tight check_ping with check_icmp and looser
return times.

But in general, you might wish to monitor a manageable switch
with something else. Indeed snmp is an excellent way to go.
You'll then need to figure out some way to manage the snmp
messages though. One way might be to search for interface down
messages where it doesn't come back within a period of time.
This can be done with logsurfer, splunk and probably a number
of other tools