nagios-nrpe socket timeout error

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Jul 1 14:05:42 CEST 2011

On 1 July 2011 12:12, rahul kumar <rahul.sed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed nagios on server and i am monitoring client from this
> machine. Sometimes it shows socket timeout error and next cycle error
> disappear. there is no firewall . All the firewall services are disabled on
> the machine.

Some things to look for ..

- high CPU on the target system

- a mis-match between speed/duplex on the lan interface and
speed/duplex on the switch interface

- a problem with link aggregation (if the system is connected to the
network with more than one interface)

- other network or performance issues

Also look at what the check at the remote end is actually doing.  If
the plugin you are running is particularly slow or inefficient you
will get timeouts.  I have found this particularly with the check_esx3
plugin but also with some other plugins.

Try running your check_nrpe command from the command line using 'time'
a few times to see how it's normally behaving.  You might find that
it's usually taking 8 seconds or so to run and occasionally taking 10
or more seconds.

hth