[Nagios-users] RFC/RFP Nagios command workers

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Jul 1 08:46:34 CEST 2011

On 06/30/2011 11:58 PM, Adam Augustine wrote:

> There seem to be two issues, I think, that are getting mixed here. I think
> the accusation of Mozilla Firefox/Nagios Core feature stagnation is a
> separate issue from
> putting things in core as opposed to making them a NEB module.
>
> The Linux kernel is a good example of tons of features existing in modules
> and
> not being included in the core, yet not having the feature stagnation
> problem.
> The difference between those and FF/Nagios is that the modules are included
> in
> the /distribution/ of the code and many are active by default.

The kernel has far more compelling reasons to turn things into modules
though, since very far from every system is directly connected to a
token ring network, or hooked up to an atomic clock via the parallell
port or similar weird things that Linux supports but that is pretty
unusual.

> This has the major advantage that if someone doesn't like/need a particular
> module,
> it can be trivially removed. This helps performance tuning. etc. At the same
> time,
> it allows feature progression, by default.
>
> I think if this approach were taken, more modularization rather than hard
> coding things into the core, but including more widely accepted modules
> in the default Nagios Core distribution, that would keep everyone happy.

Possibly, but then we'd have collaboration issues between core coders and
module hackers instead, and new modules would need some way of getting
included that doesn't interfere with other modules.

> That being said, I think placing the networking socket code into the core is
> completely reasonable, since it is such an essential part of the
> architecture.

Since worker processes is intended to be the new default way of running
checks, everything that that functionality relies on must ofcourse also
be in the core. The fact that it makes life easier for a ton of modules
is just a happy accident, really.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2d-c2