Configuration error with no explanation

jms1 at jms1.net jms1 at jms1.net
Fri Jan 28 16:44:30 CET 2011

Greetings.

I'm working on a distributed nagios system, with two "master" servers
running the web interface to view status, and several dozen "slave"
servers running the actual tests. So far it's working pretty well, but
I've run into a very strange situation with one of the slave servers,
where the syntax check is failing, but not telling me what the problem is.

# /usr/sbin/nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg

Nagios Core 3.2.1
Copyright (c) 2009-2010 Nagios Core Development Team and Community
Contributors
Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Ethan Galstad
Last Modified: 03-09-2010
License: GPL

Website: http://www.nagios.org
Reading configuration data...
   Read main config file okay...
Processing object config directory '/etc/nagios/shared'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/shared/service-templates.cfg'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/shared/ping.cfg'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/shared/contacts.cfg'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/shared/host-templates.cfg'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/shared/timeperiods.cfg'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/shared/commands.cfg'...
Processing object config directory '/etc/nagios/pop'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/pop/hosts.cfg'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/pop/hostgroups.cfg'...
Processing object config file '/etc/nagios/pop/services.cfg'...
   Error processing object config files!

The config files themselves are, as near as I can tell, correct. They are
generated by a self-written script, whose output is working flawlessly for
both master servers and all but one of the slave servers. I've examined
the files as well as I can (short of spending several hours going through
them line-by-line, this particular slave is monitoring about 200 hosts)
and haven't found anything wrong.

Has anybody seen anything like this before? Is there any way to get more
detailed information about what is causing the problem?

--
John Simpson, KG4ZOW
Programmer at Large