Alert via SMS

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Wed Jan 26 10:57:04 CET 2011

On 26/01/2011 09:54, David Seira wrote:
> Hi.
>
> There are several ways for do it. You can use a email-to-sms gateway;
> there are some portal that are free. But I prefer use a 3g modem
> connected to the nagios server; you send the sms with the gnokii
> program, it's easy. The bad thing is you need to pay the 3g. The good
> thing for use a 3g modem is that if you lose connectivity with the
> gateway you even send notifications.
>
> Bye.
3g modem is the best way as it is an Out-Of-Band method, you can
probably find a provider that offers an unlimited SMS package.

I've heard endless stories of people implementing this and disabling it
straight away due to too many notifications. The older cell phones
(often used for on-call duty) have limited memory space for messages and
deleting them can be a bit of a pain too. I would recommend that you
limit SMS notifications to escalations or a sub-set of your
notifications (Priority-1 systems for instance).

--
Best Regards,

Giles Coochey
NetSecSpec Ltd